Monday, November 22, 2010

Professional Transformation: The (Female) Suit


"If you buy the clothes, the interviews will come."

This is what Mama told me everyday when I got home from college. True enough, after I bought my first business skirt and black shoes, I was offered the substitute teaching position.

Recently a friend of mine went suit shopping. HURRAAYYY. Here's her story, with a few tips on buying your first female suit:


Today was a big day. I bought: my first suit. Enter business world.

I graduated from in-college to young-professional. My sister-in-law accompanied me to various shops, advising me on my new curriculum. And looking in the mirror each time gave me a little more confidence. My brother and I had a chat about interviews and first impressions. He mentioned that, for better or worse, people are judged on their appearance. There was the girl who came in a red skirt with polka dots – her new name became Minnie Mouse. There was the woman who came dressed like a Gypsy – her name was “The Gypsy” (I mean no offense). Then there was the man who came in a suit: nice black pants, tie, and jacket. He wound up getting the job. So...no pressure.

Now, I don't know how many of you have small feet. But I think I win. I am a size 5. Stores generally don't like to stock below a size 6. Of the 25 acceptable shoes we tried, maybe 4 had an available size 5. I went somewhere else, asked for some shoes in a size 5, and got that “oooh/we pity you/sorry-but-not” look. But there was success. I found some really nice brown pumps (aka “heels”) that are a half-size up from my little 5s but are so padded and comfortable (and fit! I guess they run small) that nothing else can compare [women's hint: SoftSpot]. Okay. Brown shoes: check. Black shoes: pending.

The suit. The one item every gal needs. Elizabeth Taylor Loft had all three pieces (jacket, pants, skirt) in a size that actually fit me. In case the size-5-reference was not enough, I am small. I am teeny. I am five feet tall and just little. So finding clothes small enough is hard too. In some ways, because of my size, I need to find even more professional clothes so that people take me seriously. I am zero there. Next shop: White House Black Market. Ehhh. They have very lovely party dresses, but their style is, for me, not “take me seriously!” enough. Banana Republic. Wow. Double zero there. But, I found all three pieces. They all fit. But...could use a minor adjustment here, would my heels catch the hem? Price?

Here is the advice my sister-in-law gave me. Right now, I am looking for any job to get me in somewhere - looking. So why go higher price? When I have a steady job and can afford it, then I can go buy that other suit if I need it. We took a picture at BN and went back to Elizabeth Taylor Loft to try that on again, and compare prices. Perfection. [Hint 2: Put things on hold. Stores usually give you 24 hours, and then you can run around the mall and decide. Also, without carrying around a ton of bags.]

Ladies, this is big purchase. I have not been “professional” shopping...since...

These things cost a lot. So, opt in for the store card offer that gets you 15% off. Pay it off right away, and keep the card or not (your finances are your matter). But my total for all three pieces was a little less than $200 – which is amazing. So go for it. Besides, you might need more coupons from them later.

Next: “shells” for under the suit jacket. This was a harder course. I thought that the only shirts acceptable under a suit were collared, button-down shirts. Not true! No, there are a lot more options. The only thing anyone can see under the suit is a small V section of the shirt beneath. Colors, patterns, anything bright – but collars aren't a must. The shirt doesn't have to have much in the way of sleeves, since no one will see them anyway. [Hint 3: Shells are a term for shirts underneath a suit. Hint 4: Black suits go with anything, so go for bright shells and necklaces]

No comments:

Post a Comment