Sunday, July 24, 2011

My First Resignation



I resigned for the very first time. Something I never thought I'd have to do. Now when I fill out applications, and there's the portion that says "Reason for Leaving" - I have to fit the story in bullet points:
-Miscommunication and Misunderstanding
-Disregard for my Hard Work.

It was a big lesson in Being Taken Advantage Of - to say the least.

I took a job at a local Mom and Pop restaurant. As a Hostess/Food runner/Dishwasher/Busser, I was working 15 hours per week, earning minimum wage, and receiving no tips. "All the money's going back to the restaurant," they said. Mind you, they bought a pitbull a week later.

After a couple walked out of our restaurant because my boss/only waitress on staff was too busy with other clients - she and her husband/chef still didn't want to train me to be a waitress. What they did instead was send me an email accusing me of unprofessionalism.

"You're supposed to sit the clients down when they come into the restaurant. You're an unprofessional little girl who doesn't know what she's doing," typed the chef.

"Oh really?" I thought, as I was reading this ridiculous email. "The rule, as your wife told me, is NEVER sit clients unless I know she can get to them."

"You're unprofessional. You don't deserve tips, and you don't deserve being a waitress."

"Oh really???" (This is when steam blew out of my nose.) "That couple walked out because we only have ONE waitress on staff. Besides, isn't it unprofessional on your behalf sending me an email full of accusations without hearing my side of the story?"

It took me 4 days re-reading this email, weighing consequences, and deciding what was best. But it was clear this place was walking all over me. I was their little elf, doing the grunt work, never to be rewarded. And I was done putting up with the fact that what I deserved was going into dog food. And so - I QUIT.

It has been one of the best things I've done for myself. I got rid of an environment that held me back and weighed me down. As my friend's mom put it: "You need to get rid of this negative energy. You're still there, which is why you can't find anything better. Get rid of them, and you will find a place that will feel your freedom, and they will want you."

So I went out to promote myself. I even bought two new pairs of work shoes, because as my own mother says, "Buy the shoes, the job will come."

In two weeks I had five interviews, and was offered two positions. I chose Extraordinary Desserts. http://extraordinarydesserts.com/desserts.htm. They were on Food Network for their Dulce de Leche cake on "The Best Thing I've Ever Ate." I start tomorrow, and I am PUMPED.

Life is becoming more stable. Good people have surrounded and supported me, and I am grateful for their advice and aid. Things are definitely looking sweeter :)


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOU AND SUPPORT YOU AND AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are brave, hanako! and it worked out coz you did the right thing. all the best to you!

    ReplyDelete