Sunday, September 25, 2011

Buying Your First Car


Some Things You Should Know

1 - Purchasing a car is not a one day "oh my god I just bought a car! hurray!" thing
* I paid for the car on September 1st
* I registered the car at the DMV on September 12th
* You pay the DMV $$$. Taxes, or something.

2 - The car cannot be in your name until you get the smog checked.
* smog checks are required by the previous owner
* I didn't know that
* They had done that, but I didn't have the proof for the DMV
* So I got a smog check on September 13th.

3 - You need to buy car insurance
* there are different kinds with different prices
* go with the cheapest and most crucial: (i.e - collision)


No I did not get hassled by a car salesman.

No I did not have to haggle, or walk away pretending I didn't want the car - just so I could get a lower price.

I did buy it used, and I did buy it from someone I know.

Someone I know quite well, who gave me the car at a lower price than he wanted, just because he loves me.

On some level.

As a roommate.

An alternate sister.

As his sister's best friend.

Anyway -

I did purchase the car with my own money.

With a savings account I didn't know I had.

4. SAVE. THEN FORGET ABOUT IT, THEN USE IT IN DIRE NEED

I named the car "Puppy"

1 comment:

  1. When are you going to stop driving down the middle of the road?

    ReplyDelete