Monday, August 9, 2010

My 3 Love Affairs in College


I cannot continue to talk about LWWO without talking about my personal life. After all, I am a real person with real life stories to contribute.

When I flew on a plane to come to The Boonies – I left three loves behind: Reta Het, Eric Frends, and Bryan Q. Yes, I am bisexual and represent the classic case for having multiple affairs.

Just kidding.

If you unscramble Reta Het – the word Theater pops out. Yes, I became a theater geek in college. Many from high school were quite surprised. Only having taken two drama classes in high school and never promoted to be in production, I took the daunting risk of becoming a theater major in college. Everyone around me had been in performances since they were three; parents had pushed them to become stars throughout middle and high school. My parents forced me to take violin and piano lessons, and I still never went to Julliard.

Despite my lack of stardom, my college professors didn’t care. They supported my learning through ups and downs, and to this day still console me while I work at LWWO. I owe the entire theater department my gratitude, especially JD, BK and her husband MP, Mitch, M Burke, Leslie, Michelle, Vivian, James, Ritz, Elisa, Pat K, and Power. I left a piece of my heart in Austin Arts and T Commons. Whatever I do, I hope I always have an affair with Reta Het. It’s all because of my professors, and they will always approve.

My second love is Eric Frends, unscrambled as EC Friends, EC standing for East Coast. This past weekend, I sat in my room while I imagined how my EC gals partied it up in New York and Boston. As I am the only one located on the West, I was the only one who couldn’t attend. My spirited presence could only make appearance through facebook and text. Sad.

I do have EC man-friends, but they are very limited in number and few who I regularly keep in touch with. I do love them dearly, but I guess you can call me the typical “girl’s girl.” “Chicks before dicks” definitely applies.

My EC Friends come from all over and are all ethnicities: Bostonian/Masshole, Southern, New Yorker, Jerse, DC, CT, NH, Maine and Hong Kong/India/Brit. I have one from So-Cal but he doesn’t count. Out of all those peeps I think a third are white. I was surprised how many Asian friends I had, considering in high school I had, like, two.

Putting all that aside, I loved Eric Frends. Though I was thought to be quirky, a little out there, absent for most of the time because I was having my affair with Reta Het, I was never judged or cast aside. If I was around, I was embraced, and I will always be thankful for that. More importantly, now that we are apart, I am inspired to continue to be depended on for advice, love, laughs, and plain conversation. I may be far, but my heart is not. I hope that is known to all. (Call me!)

Finally, Bryan Q. There is no unscrambling here to be done. Plain and simple, he is the man who came along and said: “Screw us being friends, we’re meant to be lovers.”

We were friends for a year before he fell in love with me. I, at the time, was too immature to take myself seriously, let alone take him seriously. For seven months he didn’t give up. He professed his love constantly. Despite shutting him down by flirting with other men, sending evil texts, and ignoring phone calls, he still said: “We're meant to be lovers.”

It was when he gave up that I realized I had loved him the whole time. Isn’t that typical. The whole seven months I had denied him, and now I wanted what I couldn't have. During the seven month period he was finding difficulty keeping his mind healthy. Gradually he progressed to find independence using basketball, books, and yes, that slut Reta Het. Though he was on the rebound, thank god he still loved me and took me with open arms.

It is the first time I am doing a long-distance relationship. I never thought I’d be the type – but love makes you do the unexpected. It is completely worth it. He is the first to take my selfishness and stubbornness and use it to challenge me. He is the first to hug and hold me while I sob in his arms. He is the first to be honest with my insecurities, and even if he gets frustrated, he always reconciles. I am a garden to his world that he waters everyday, and everyday I grow a little more. Winds, storms, and overexposure to sunlight happen, but he is still there, tending me everyday.

I’M SO POETIC.

So those were my three affairs in college. There are specifics that I hope to share along the way, but background information is always a good start. =)

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had three hands, to give this post three thumbs up! That Reta Het maeng, i sware she gets around like carnival cruise ships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahha indeed she does! Thanks for the support Mal B!

    ReplyDelete